Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Another Letter From Overseas

I got this in the mail yesterday.  The card front reminds us all to be grateful for what we have and to enjoy the simple things in life.  As many of you know I've had 2 surgeries in the last 2 weeks on my forehead, I had an unknown growth.  I thought the procedure was going to be a lot different than what it turned out to be.  Turns out they sliced my head open twice to remove the growth.  The surgeon thought it was a benign  growth put the pathologist thinks it was some form of cancer.  Therefore, the surgeon needed to go back in and remove the rest of the growth to make sure he got it all  out.  As of today I am not certain what is going on and will not know more until I go back to have my stiches removed.  Hopefully, he got everything out and won't have to go back in - he sounded very hopeful on Friday that he got it all out and won't have to see me for another 3 months. The thing that concerned the surgeon the most is that is was growing towards my bone. During all this time I am on many restrictions since it is my head that got sliced - no lifting, bending forward, no medications except Tylenol, etc.  Yes, the pain is there but slowly fading and I was told it can take 1-2 months until I am fully healed and the numbing sensation goes away.  The second time round is a little tougher but I'm taking it one day at a time and getting better, I just wish the headaches would seize.  However, through all this life is not so bad and I'm taking it one day at a time because I know God doesn't give us more than we can handle.  Everyday you get is a present and live your life the best way you can.

This was the timeline for the surgeries:
July 24 - 1st incision
July 31 - went to get stiches out, told it could be cancer and to return next day
August 1- 2nd incision

I also keep in mind those that are fighting for our freedom and my issues are nothing compared to what they are going through.  Getting this letter yesterday just seemed like an appropriate time to receive and reminds me that I have much to be grateful for and to continue on with my work with OWH.  Of course, I haven't been able to do much the last two weeks for the organization but that is ok because with the draw down coming in Iraq there is less contacts so less cards are being needed until more contacts contact OWH. 

On that note, if anyone knows of any organizations that accept donations of cards please let me know so that if all our soldiers come home I have another outlet to send my cards to.

Please know that I am going to be fine and that this is just a trial that I have been put through.  Thursday I get my stiches removed and get the results back and I will update you when I get home.

I am thankful to the many people who have shown their concern in one way or another.  Also, I want to give a big thank you to my Aunt Jane who insisted that I have this growth checked out and turned out to be the angel that I needed since I thought nothing of it.

So here is the letter:


No comments:

Post a Comment